Registrar position at Tampa's Lowry ParkApril 19, 2017 Position Summary
Reports to General Curator. Serves as member of the animal management team, assisting in the development and implementation of the Zoo's collections management policy and the resulting collection plans. The Registrar’s responsibilities include managing the institution’s animal records and related policies, validating the quality of recorded data, and ensuring the legal compliance of all animal transactions. The Registrar also serves as liaison to relevant government agencies, Species 360’s (ZIMS) and other zoological institutions, specific to the role of the Registrar function.
Essential Functions (including but not limited to)
• Manages and maintains both active and inactive animal records systems ensuring data quality, retention schedules, preservation and accessibility.
• Manages and monitors animal transactions to ensure legal compliance with local, state, federal and international laws, government regulations, industry-specific standards and internal policies and procedures.
• Performs all duties associated with the acquisition, renewal and management of local, Federal and state wildlife permits and licenses.
• Primary liaison between the institution and State and Federal government permitting agencies and Species 360 (ZIMS record keeping system).
• Trains staff in animal record keeping, records management and animal data standards.
• Manages the monthly animal census/inventory process and the annual city animal audit.
• Participates in ZRA, AZA and other appropriate professional associations in an effort to develop and set standards for animal data management and to continually elevate the level of professionalism for the Registrar position.
• Records daily transactions, births and deaths, and collection changes and reports these activities to Animal Department management team.
• Supplies and completes all proper paperwork for proposed animal transactions and shipments.
• Maintains animal loans and breeding loans, including annual loan updates.
• Prepares reports as needed to management and curatorial staff.
• Invoices Zoos and Aquariums for animal sales and related shipping costs.
• Supervises one Assistant Registrar positon in support of the department functions.
• Supports the animal department by performing behind the scenes tours, assisting in the field and performing other duties as required.
Skills, Qualifications and Experience
• Associate or Bachelor degree in biology, records management or other related field or equivalent combination of training, education, and experience.
• General knowledge of taxonomy, natural history, animal husbandry.
• General knowledge of collection management principles.
• Knowledge of AZA cooperative animal management programs, such as studbooks, SSPs, TAGs, etc.
• Excellent communication skills, computer literacy and knowledge of common software applications.
• Working knowledge of the IATA regulations and implementation, CITES Convention as well as the U.S. Endangered Species Act.
• Experience with animal record keeping software (ZIMS, MedARKS, and TRACKS etc.) preferred.
• Work experience in a zoological setting preferred.
• Detail oriented with high level of accuracy.
• Able to maintain consistent level of productivity and complete projects and tasks in a reasonable time frame, to the satisfaction of management.
• Conducts all activities in alignment with AZA standards and guidelines, all relevant laws and regulations, safety standards, and standards that ensure animal welfare.
• Ability to work in extreme weather conditions typical to west central Florida (i.e., heat, rain, or cold).
• Possess visual, hearing and other sensory and cognitive capacity appropriate for role.
• Ability to use telephone, and computer to communicate and follow written and verbal instructions.
• Must be able to safely and effectively engage in heavy lifting (up to 45 pounds).
• Able and willing to work varying hours and shifts, which can include nights and week-ends, to support the park or special events.
Apply at: www.tlpz.org/careers